Thursday, January 14, 2010

Noodling Around

The one thing that I ate over and over and over again while on this trip was noodle soup. I couldn't get enough of it. Chicken, beef, pork, duck, vegetarian - it didn't matter. It was hot, it was delicious, it was ridiculously cheap. When I came down with a nasty sore throat, I quite literally survived on the stuff for three days straight - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Noodle shops abound, but thanks to our guides, the best local spots were pointed out to us in each of our destinations. So from day one, I was hooked.




The vermicelli is prepared with a quick dunk in scalding water, then added to a flavorful, steaming broth with meat and veggies.



You added condiments at your table, which was always stocked with fish sauce, chili sauce, straight MSG powder, and if you were lucky, packets of pork rinds. And the soup would always come with a bowl of fresh goodies to add as you please as well (very similar to Pho): green onions, cilantro, lime, chili, etc. I was craving it so badly when I got home, but was WAY too lazy to make it from scratch, that I bought a packet of Top Ramen noodles and did a semi-homemade approximation. I can't believe I just admitted that.

No comments:

Post a Comment